Saturday, May 23, 2015

Sunday - Interrupted

Just about the time I got into the habit of updating and taking notes on our days, we arrived in the very beautiful and very remote town of Gualala and realized I'd left my laptop power cable in San Jose. So now, we're back in Sacramento and the laptop cable has been replaced, and I can get back to business. Just pretend you're reading this six days ago and everything will be right in the world.



I know, I know, I'm skipping the day that was the point of the exercise. But I haven't got any pictures of my own from the wedding (I very carefully did NOT bring my cell phone with me to any of the wedding stuff on Saturday) and it seems more cruel to write about it without pictures than just save it for a later date. So, let's skip ahead to the rest of the festivities.

Sunday was our last day with our out of town friends, and we did our best to make the most of it. We got up early to drive Jim and Jeff to the airport, and once people noticed our door was open there was no going back to bed. We visited with my family as they packed up and made their way out, and after breakfast we got together with Kaylee and Allan and headed to the Computer History Museum. I had been there before, but I was shocked at the huge expansions and improvements they have made in the years between my visits. It's a really cool place, if you're the right kind of geek!


Giant, room-sized computer made by IBM in the 70s


And its control panel, which is original but no longer hooked up to the machine.


They had one of Google's self-driving cars! It was fascinating to see the technology 
that powers and steers them.



Rob with the Babbage Engine, a brilliant machine that inspired a totally unreadable book.



View inside a huge supercomputer.




Napier's Bones, a really clever calculation aid. I kind of want a tiny one to carry around with me. 



We got stuck in the video game room (AKA Memory Lane) for a pretty long time. 




After that, we went to Psycho Doughnuts and stocked up on sugar for the long drive up to Gualala. 



It's the only bakery I've ever been to that offered padded cell accomodations. 




We all gathered up and had dinner, then Meredith and Amanda headed off to New York and Kaylee and Allan went back to Minneapolis. We're all out of weddings to attend now, so next time we all get together somewhere it'll be purely for the fun of it! 





No comments:

Post a Comment